Questions about server changes

General discussion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TMoney96
BANNED
BANNED

Questions about server changes

Post by TMoney96 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:36 pm

Just curious, rather than spending an hour looking through old posts I figured I would just ask.

1. Is the exp system different? It seems like whether I have a really high score or not I am still getting like 15-20k exp a game lol. In fact, in a game today I had 34000 total exp and suddenly 20 seconds later it was 38000+. Not sure why...

2. Are there any new useful powerupups I should look for? How about weapons, anything good added? and

3.Has the summon system changed? I remember it used to be you could summon anything randomly with 1 summon on any gun, but since I came back I haven't summoned anything goo except a mini rl and ssr non wop with 1 summon in 30+ tries. Just curious, I remember the ratio of good to bad summon was a hell of a lot better than 1:30 back them, more like 1:4 on average.

Also, I thought I would note, it pains me to see that the "teamplay" of the server is even worse than it was before. I Still share my pu and offer very useful ones that I dont need as soon as I get them (ie heal inf summon +5's) but noone ever responds so I have like 500 pu by the end of every game lol. Im not even gonna bother asking for stuff cause if people dont accept pu from others I doubt they are going to share theirs. Everyone wants to play on there own like good ol draeghon used to heheh. I guess when you know how to stack pu to be able to kill more efficiently than it doesnt matter.

I forgot most of the tricks :(. I remember pull forward and propulsion are good with rage but I was using 2 pull on a ssr mini and it actually greatly weakened my killing ability lol so I don't know. Anyways, the server is still fun. It doesnt look like much else has changed.

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Questions about server changes

Post by SirBeast » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Ance again, welcome back T-Money!
TMoney96 wrote:1. Is the exp system different? It seems like whether I have a really high score or not I am still getting like 15-20k exp a game lol. In fact, in a game today I had 34000 total exp and suddenly 20 seconds later it was 38000+. Not sure why...
Yes, it is, but not sure exactly how. I do know that there was a difference between the "old" system and "new" system regarding how much XP you needed to get from one level to the next. On the "old" system it was quite a bit more than the "new" system. HeWhoSmokesBowls, myself, and others reset our levels several months back to restart onto the "new" system

TMoney96 wrote:2. Are there any new useful powerupups I should look for? How about weapons, anything good added?
YES! The SuperLucky and Magic PU both ROCK - Superlucky is akin to having 5 lucky PUs on your weapon, and the Magic PU will randomly spawn stuff like keys, crowbars, and other artifacts. Those open the Powerups Chest, the Artifacts Chest, and the Weapons crate, which has 1 of every special/super weapon available in the game (EXCEPT the nuke). CAUTION: whomever opens the crate will NOT be able to toss the Super Shock Rifle or AK47. So if you don't intend to use these weapons, toss the crate to someone who will (me) and usually they will be happy to toss you the weapon of your choice once it is opened.

Also, there are the 4 green letters W A N D - if one person collects all of these and uses the "W" artifact, all living players will receive a magic wand of random power - hence why we usually try wait until the start of a new wave before activating that, so every1 can get 1.

There are also the Instagib, Rock, Redeember, and Reflection Shield Powerups. Aside from reflection, you can use only 2 of these on a weapon. Each one reduces weapon damage by (I believe) 50%. However, if a mob has a 150% dmg bonus... you can find more complete, accurate info by searching the forum for these PU names.
TMoney96 wrote:3.Has the summon system changed? I remember it used to be you could summon anything randomly with 1 summon on any gun, but since I came back I haven't summoned anything goo except a mini rl and ssr non wop with 1 summon in 30+ tries. Just curious, I remember the ratio of good to bad summon was a hell of a lot better than 1:30 back them, more like 1:4 on average.
YES! Now it is COMPLETELY random based on ONE summon - using more than 1 on a single weapon is a waste. If you use 3 summons - each on a different wop - you will summon 3 different weapons. The chance still exists to summon NO weapons, tho that is rare.
TMoney96 wrote:Also, I thought I would note, it pains me to see that the "teamplay" of the server is even worse than it was before. I Still share my pu and offer very useful ones that I dont need as soon as I get them (ie heal inf summon +5's) but noone ever responds so I have like 500 pu by the end of every game lol. Im not even gonna bother asking for stuff cause if people dont accept pu from others I doubt they are going to share theirs. Everyone wants to play on there own like good ol draeghon used to heheh. I guess when you know how to stack pu to be able to kill more efficiently than it doesnt matter.
This all depends on who you are playing with at the time, and the time you are playing. Thankfully when I am on in the evenings/late afternoons (depending on your time zone) the players are very generous, you just have to be sure you re-iterate your requests every wave in case some1 missed it the first time.
I will consistently sacrifice political correctness for an attempt at humor. If ya can't deal, then ya need ta stop being ign'ant.

Sig by the awesome AnnaBeaver

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:02 pm

i listen to others and try to read the game chat to see if i can give something one needs. otherwise, i toss my excess powerups load near others or one person and most of the time they are all picked up in seconds. i apologize if i don't hold on to everything in case someone makes a request if there ever is one, but hey, i figure i randomize the chance for pu gain to everyone, including lower levels, by this method. now, i do tend to stick an extra heal or two on an unused retention wop since heals are most necessary for most people to have one on most types of wops and is one of the most requested powerups..besides instagib shields :P

weapon powerups drop much more frequently than i remember them 3 months ago when i stopped playing: razors, fireballs, mini ssr pu..the whole lot now drop more overall.

as for summons, it seems the same chance overall. takes about 4-5 or more tries to get something useably good.

if i seem ignorant to many comments or more "quiet" than usual when i play as jylon (referring to the slight critcism i detect in your mentioning -,,-) it is because i don't use ghost/resurrect on that character and i don't want to die while typing!

pu setups are the same, too. i'd have done what you did with mini ssr on holdthecamp map, but i had mini normal wop 8 and mini with propulsion can be godly on open maps. in fact, it really is the only time mini ever is very good for killing overall. that is why i used that until wave 17.

there is a problem lately i noticed, and it is the real bad lag experienced at times. i am not sure if it is map related or the result of geographically far from server players, but it makes a horrid experience trying to kill with most weapons. however, as part of a lag time fighting strategy, most weps that release a distinct object projectile at nonrapid speed tend to do better. these include: deemer, howitzer, rl weapons, and such. beam weapons and gun-like weapons such as ak, lady, mp5, mini ssr, ssr, turbo laser, etc seem to have hiccups during lag and never seem to hit as much as when used during smooth gameplay times.

draegohn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by draegohn » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:08 pm

oh, i also just saw beast replied. i think experienced gained has changed for the spree bonuses mostly, but i could be wrong. however, i do notice i can get a ton of experience despite which of my characters i play, which didn't used to be the case o..o

Corporal
Corporal

Post by 1800 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:51 pm

cheater...j/k
"People who put stupid quotes or phrases for a signature that are supposed to mean something very esoteric really f@#!ing piss me off."

KnaveSkye
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by KnaveSkye » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 pm

I hear ya T....out of 10 maps i might get 5 summons..and one of those might be comething other than mine layer/frag grenade/turbo laser.....but not often, where people like m3rc and drae frequently get shotguns/ak47....i dunno, and i think the magic pu only randomly enerates other pu's....where super lucky spawns the various artifact items
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

"When all else fails, use fire"

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by SirBeast » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:34 pm

draegohn wrote:i listen to others and try to read the game chat to see if i can give something one needs. otherwise, i toss my excess powerups load near others or one person and most of the time they are all picked up in seconds.

This is one thing I remember about when I first joined this server (shortly b4 the TDD went away) - that at the end of any particular wave, if you found the right "common" area (large/open area near a weapon/other spawn ie: shock in Goliath) that you could almost always find players tossing their excess PUs. Some of the veterans still practice this, and I see people chide them for doing so without announcing they were going to (see also below). To those chiding - be happy that they are tossing the PUs at all, instead of hoarding them entirely!
draegohn wrote:i apologize if i don't hold on to everything in case someone makes a request if there ever is one, but hey, i figure i randomize the chance for pu gain to everyone, including lower levels, by this method. now, i do tend to stick an extra heal or two on an unused retention wop since heals are most necessary for most people to have one on most types of wops and is one of the most requested powerups..besides instagib shields :P
Apology accepted Drae ;-) Yeah, heal is one of those most requested for sure! I often do this too, with heals and +5 powerups I have offered repeatedly w/o takers. Then if some1 comes in late I can just toss that weapon to them.
draegohn wrote:weapon powerups drop much more frequently than i remember them 3 months ago when i stopped playing: razors, fireballs, mini ssr pu..the whole lot now drop more overall.
yeah, those definitely seem to drop more often
draegohn wrote:if i seem ignorant to many comments or more "quiet" than usual when i play as jylon (referring to the slight critcism i detect in your mentioning -,,-) it is because i don't use ghost/resurrect on that character and i don't want to die while typing!
wow Drae. That's hardcore. I'm impressed at your desire for the extra challenge.
draegohn wrote:there is a problem lately i noticed, and it is the real bad lag experienced at times. i am not sure if it is map related or the result of geographically far from server players, but it makes a horrid experience trying to kill with most weapons. however, as part of a lag time fighting strategy, most weps that release a distinct object projectile at nonrapid speed tend to do better. these include: deemer, howitzer, rl weapons, and such. beam weapons and gun-like weapons such as ak, lady, mp5, mini ssr, ssr, turbo laser, etc seem to have hiccups during lag and never seem to hit as much as when used during smooth gameplay times.
Yeah, this does seem to be an increasing problem. I average a ping between 60 and 80, and there have been multiple occasions in a week that I saw pings 5 times that, and at least once when it was 10 times that! And it wasn't just me, but everyone playing at those times, who was experiencing this.
I will consistently sacrifice political correctness for an attempt at humor. If ya can't deal, then ya need ta stop being ign'ant.

Scion
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Scion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:26 am

I know I am going to experience lag if my pings hops over 200, my ping tends to stay in 140 to 180 range and sometimes shoots over and below. Heh that was a fun map we played drae at magi madness, sadly I was lagging pretty bad but I had fun with the bio and minelayer with superforce attached :P. I got like 3 summons on that map and got a turbo laser, minelayer to go with my other minelayer, and grenade launcher to go with my other grenade launcher....I feel just lucky with that :P. Heh I have a few problems with trying to remember everyone else's alts :P, all my alts are easy to spot :P.

Now back to T-money

I'm not sure what all you know T, but I will tell a little about some of the new pus we recently have had.

Rockshield pu-gives 50% protection for each shield, max is 2, with 2 rarely rarely will you be killed by a titan rock (does not stop titans from hopping on your head and crushing you to death however).

Instagibshield- gives 50% protection for each shield, max is 2, with 2, you don't have to fear the wand, but you do still have to fear the green laser.

Pierator pu-bio rifle alt fire mode pu, fires a ball that shoots little green things that tickle monsters and makes you stare at your bio rifle with anger.

Artifact chest-Red key
Power ups chest-Orange key
Weapons Crate-Crowbar of amazing skill* (no worries regular crowbar also opens this and bottles)

(*please note there is no such crowbar and all comments are made that the user knowledge of how to use such a tool :P)

Fire rocket pu- rl alt fire mode pu, switchs rl shots to fire based rockets that leave behind so fire that will keep burning targets.

Reflective rocket pu- fun fun rl alt fire mode pu, changes rl shots to bouncy rl shots, now you got rockets that you can get around tight corners without being the target of wands and turbo lasers.

meh there is probably more but meh you can probably figure it out, also note that plasma ball is not for the rl, its for the linkgun...I just laughed first few days when that pu came out and people were asking why the pu wouldn't work on the rl.
Sometimes a crazy move is the best move.

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by SirBeast » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:44 am

well-put Scion!

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Amy Infless » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:21 am

Scion wrote: Rockshield pu-gives 50% protection for each shield, max is 2, with 2 rarely rarely will you be killed by a titan rock (does not stop titans from hopping on your head and crushing you to death however).

Instagibshield- gives 50% protection for each shield, max is 2, with 2, you don't have to fear the wand, but you do still have to fear the green laser.
well, i think i know the reason why there is no shield for that...how long do you need to type
"any spare stop-titans-from-hopping-on-my-head-and-crushing-me-to-death-shield?" :-)

2 insta-shields doesnt save you from turbolaser too -> "reflections" needed
2 rockshields and 2 instas = not 100% save! mostly in laggy situations if you are g@ngb@nged (sandwitched) between rocks (and mostly midair) it can be they kill you. same for instas, its more a 99% chance to be not killed.

vortex-shield. one needed. think this is one of pus which is most often not really workin.

ats
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Return to “UT2004 General Discussion”