Half-Life and Steam

Talk about Half-Life 2 with your fellow team mates from Gaming Madness that also play HL2.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Half-Life and Steam

Post by Nard » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:33 pm

So first of all, who has played any of the Half-Life games? I never played the other ones, I purchased the Orange Box and got all the Half-Life 2 parts. There alot of fun. I still play with Sir Beast, K-Bone, Mainstrain, I see those guys all the time. We play alot of TF2. But anyways we play Steam based games. Left 4 Dead came out, and TRUST me, if you like playing on Joeyz server, this game is a must buyyyy. Played the demo so much it was good. Circuit City is also bankrupt for some of you that don't know, and the game is 40 bucks instead of 50 like everywhere else. I would pick it up. Anyways why am i rambling on, lets talk about Half- Life.

At the start of the game, the G-Man speaks to Gordon Freeman in a hallucination-like vision as he pulls Gordon out of stasis and places him on a train going to City 17. When the train arrives, Gordon gets off and proceeds through the Combine's security checkpoints where he is detained by a civil protection officer. Once in an interrogation room, the officer reveals himself to be Barney Calhoun, and helps Freeman to get to Doctor Isaac Kleiner's laboratory. After meeting Alyx Vance, Freeman is instructed by Kleiner to step into a makeshift teleporter so that he can be safely extracted to Black Mesa East along with Alyx, headed by her father, Doctor Eli Vance. However, Kleiner's pet headcrab Lamarr disrupts the machine, and Freeman finds himself, after briefly appearing in several different locations including in the office of Dr. Breen, at the outskirts of City 17. Freeman works his way through the drained canal system, avoiding Combine forces and using the help of human resistance fighters who see Freeman as a messianic figure, to safely arrive at Black Mesa East.

Dr. Vance and Doctor Judith Mossman debrief Freeman on events since the incident at Black Mesa. As Alyx is introducing Freeman to Dog, her pet robot, and showing him how to use the new Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator ("gravity gun"), the lab is attacked and Dr. Vance is captured. Freeman is separated from Alyx, but she explains that he must travel to Nova Prospekt in order to save her father. Along the way, Freeman encounters other allies, including Father Grigori in the zombie-infested town of Ravenholm, and Colonel Odessa Cubbage and his forces. After making his way across an Antlion infested-beach, Freeman reaches Nova Prospekt and begins to search for Dr. Vance. Alyx eventually reaches him and joins in his search. Together, they discover that Dr. Mossman is a spy for the Combine, but before they can stop her, she teleports herself and Dr. Vance back to the Citadel using a prototype teleporter.

Freeman and Alyx attempt to follow, but the teleporter explodes as they use it; they materialize in Kleiner's lab a week later, discovering that their actions in Nova Prospekt have inspired the human resistance to mount a full-scale rebellion, turning City 17 into a battlefield. Alyx helps to assist Dr. Kleiner and other innocent humans to escape the city, while Freeman joins with the human resistance to dispatch the Combine forces. As the resistance gains the upper edge, Freeman learns that Alyx has been captured by the Combine and taken to the Citadel. Freeman enters the Citadel to rescue Alyx but as he enters, all his weapons save the gravity gun are destroyed by an energy field; the gravity gun reacts to the field and becomes much more powerful, and Freeman uses it to remove the Combine forces in his path. Freeman eventually reaches Doctor Breen's office, where Dr. Mossman is also waiting. As Dr. Mossman brings in Alyx and Dr. Vance, Dr. Breen explains to Freeman that his services are "open to the highest bidder". Dr. Breen attempts to threaten the Vances, but Dr. Mossman reveals herself to be a double agent working for the resistance, forcing Dr. Breen to flee to the Dark Energy Reactor at the top of the Citadel and to attempt to teleport away from Earth. Freeman and Alyx pursue Dr. Breen and disable the reactor, disabling Dr. Breen's escape route, but at the same time overloading the reactor. The reactor begins to explode, with both Freeman and Alyx appearing to be caught in the blast radius, when time stops and the G-man appears. The G-man comments on Gordon's successful endeavors and then places Gordon back into stasis and leaves through a door of pure light. The plot is continued in Half-Life 2: Episode One.
Signature by [IX]AnnaBeaver

Salmiakkikossu
Private
Private

Post by Salmiakkikossu » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:20 pm

I intend to pick up Left4Dead at some point but it's going to be a while.

I've also been playing Dystopia Mod (free!!!) for a long while now and if you guys like team-based games and/or Cyberpunk themes, that mod is a MUST PLAY. It's very polished, even by HL2 Mod standards.

KnaveSkye
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by KnaveSkye » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:05 am

I think this thread should be hijacked and made the official "Sound off if you are into Left 4 Dead" post, My steam id is Knave_Skye and i know atleast a few of you already have it. This game is a blast with a good group to play with...and a excercise in frustration otherwise....would be cool to field a whole team of MM vets...just a thought =)
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

"When all else fails, use fire"

Cadmium
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Cadmium » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm still debating about getting Left4Dead, it Would be nice to play with MM people. We'll see...

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by SirBeast » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:51 pm

I'll be getting it here soon
I will consistently sacrifice political correctness for an attempt at humor. If ya can't deal, then ya need ta stop being ign'ant.

Sig by the awesome AnnaBeaver

TheMadDJ
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by TheMadDJ » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:15 pm

I have L4D on the 360. Doubt this rig would run the PC version however.

I DO have HL2, TF2 and CS1.6 if anyone wants to own my arse. d=)

hwsb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by hwsb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm

i picked up L4D, it's great fun

all y'all censored know my naaaaaaame

Return to “Half-Life 2”