End of the internet?

Just feeling bored and want to spam the hell out of everything? Well come on in, but enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SSBN742
Spammer
Spammer

End of the internet?

Post by SSBN742 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9LL6HYavrk
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/ju ... ternet.htm
This seemed importent enough to show you guys, I figured you would want it around too...
What can I say, for better or worse, I'm back for now, I wish I could say I was more mature then the last time I played UT... but that would be a lie, and I would NEVER lie to my brothers and sisters in arms... >.> <.< yeah ^_^

SirBeast
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by SirBeast » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:06 pm

i believe Rollins may be the next Carlin, a true poet of our time
I will consistently sacrifice political correctness for an attempt at humor. If ya can't deal, then ya need ta stop being ign'ant.

Sig by the awesome AnnaBeaver

Quester115
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Quester115 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:46 pm

If this starts to happen I'm taking the initiative to get the citizens in my community together to begin creating a vast localized WLAN using wifi/longest range wireless available, even if a whole municipality gets pissed off enough about this we could run fiber to residences. Maybe we could get some amateurs and make radio relay trunk lines to similar networks. Starting something like the first BBS's, although with today's technology and creativity. Circumvent their supposed 'internet 2' and help create something even more open and unrestricted from the ground up.

I doubt either will happen, but if the one does I will devote myself to creating the second. (imagine it would be like a 24 hour lan party :P )

edit: ok, I honestly thought that most of this talk about 'omg teh low caps!' was a whole bunch of bull, but I glanced an article in my newspaper (I know right...people still read those things?) and it was going over some of the exact same things...was all like, "wow, might actually happen". And the caps were set at just above 1USD per Gigabyte, over landlines! Icould see this for wireleess/cellphone, but these were the rates for the dsl and cable isp's in that area, great 'choice' huh. ...will try to find links later, if not i'll type up quotes.
ok found a link to the article i read: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 12GMQQ.DTL
Better start looking up classes on WLAN design, may come in handy >.< just had to open my mouth lol.
[seeking truth in life, no matter how painful it can be]

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 am

well so much for p2p and online gaming...
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

hwsb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by hwsb » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:56 pm

way ahead of ya quester:

http://p2p-radio.sourceforge.net/

Archangel
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Archangel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:42 pm

I don't think it's possible........Internet business would shoot that shit down.....look at how much business is done as a result of the internet. Just some people stirring up rumors

[GU]Twinkie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by [GU]Twinkie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:29 am

I tend to agree with Archangle you have no idea how much it would cost a company like brinker intl to run if they were charged 1 quarter of a penny for each e-mail.
for such a large company it would cost millions of dollars a year just in e-mail fee,s.
Not to mention how wide spread internet usage is on a world wide lvl.
Good story But just a story :D

Quester115
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Quester115 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:00 am

well the world level internet is waking up to the US bullshit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/busin ... ref=slogin
I suggest you look through that one it's a good read, and another story that gets you pissed off about ISP's (if you live in the US that is, btw how's the net in places like Germany and some of our other European friends)

That and I just got capped on comcast starting in October. They put a cap on at 250GB/month. I could burn through this in about 5 days if i tried, but with my normal activities (using the bandwidth that THEY upgraded their entire customer base to. they bumped the upstream from 385Kb/s to 1Mb/s in January, and i use it bitches) I would pass it every 18-22 days (1.5Mb/s, which is about a quarter of their per user bandwidth allocation)

Would have liked to leave them just on principle, but the only other provider is dsl and wouldn't reach the comcast caps even with a fully saturated dsl line (128KB/s both ways).

There have been rumors about overage charges per XGB's over the 250, but comcast didn't say anything, but i can see this as very plausible if nothing changes soon.
[seeking truth in life, no matter how painful it can be]

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Wheres the zound playing when you need it? "Its official, you suck!"
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

Return to “Spam, Spam, and More Spam”