The PACKET LOSS is possibly originating form OUR server.

General discussion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rumple
Private
Private

The PACKET LOSS is possibly originating form OUR server.

Post by Rumple » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi,

As some of you know, I have had HUGE packet-loss issues while playing UT2004 Invasion for the last month or so...it is unplayable after about 5 minutes.

I originally thought that my graphics card was to blame because it was old and maybe under-powered, so i got a bigger, shinier new one...no luck.

I then turned my wrath to my service provider, CenturyLink, and spent a couple of weeks pissing them off...no luck.

I bought a new modem/router, and pestered CenturyLink some more...no luck.

At some point, Amy turned me toward "tracert" paths for finding-out what is happening upline form me...now we are starting to get somewhere.

My route-tracing gets jammed-up after a router named "agr,tym.r256.net" or 173.225.185.38. This is where the last "usable" pings and packets have been originating. Anything beyond that is a mystery to me. It COULD be our server IP, or there could be another 10 routers between it and our server IP.

At last resort, I had my ISP ping and trace our server (204.11.33.157) to themselves, and they got NOTHING...100% packet loss and no pings back. This completely eliminates my PC, My router AND CenturyLink.

1) Is there a way to go around an offending IP address?

2) Would it be a good idea to restart/tweak the UT server?

3) Is there another IP address I can use, other than the 204.11.33.157 to maybe get my connection repathed?

I am at my wits end. The game is not playable for more than a few minutes.

Rumple
Private
Private

Re: The PACKET LOSS is possibly originating form OUR server.

Post by Rumple » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Here is my tracert view...

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:20 pm

I believe I have the ports and the protocol blocked that allow pinging the server. That is why you cannot get a response. If you are the only one with these issues then the problem sounds like it is on your end and not on the server side.
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

Rumple
Private
Private

Post by Rumple » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:33 pm

How come I cannot get to the server using tracert?

BaronVonRotterdam
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by BaronVonRotterdam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Same reason, the protocol is blocked that ping and tracert use.
| ASRock Fatal1ty X470 | AMD Ryzen 3700x @Stock | 32GB DDR4 3200 mHz | Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 Super | Dell S2417DG |

Rumple
Private
Private

Post by Rumple » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:02 pm

I have repeatedly tried tracert, ping a P/L connections to every single IP along the path to the server, and EVERYTHING comes back fine with no packet loss.

The only IP address that is an unknown is 204.11.33.157.

Please, at a minimum, restart the server.

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:59 am

Rumple what Paintball is saying is he has those kinds of requests (tracert, pings) blocked to the actual server at the data center. Presumably to keep hackers in the dark to vital server information.

The server is running great hardware, and network wise. In fact it's actually running four game servers right now with quite low resources actually being used. (Two UT2K4, Ark, and Contagion.) It has to be some isolated issue on your end that is being overlooked somewhere.
Mob
Monster Madness RPG WoP Invasion Server Administrator - UT 2004
Map Editor - UT 2004

Rumple
Private
Private

Post by Rumple » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:04 am

Ugh...this means I need to disassemble, clean and reassemble my computer to look for visually bad connections.

BTW, I am not the only one having packet loss issues on the server. I am just the one who complains. lol

Go on the server when there are more than a couple people, usually at least two of them will be showing PL.

If I stick with just an MP5, and it is a solo game, I can make it through the whole game, and usually see at least about 80% of the monsters.

If it is an SSR map, maybe less than four people and nobody is using a particle gun, I can usually get 11 or 12 waves in before I can see nothing but the map.

If there are a few people playing, and one or two people are using particle guns and I have a flak, it's about 3 waves before I am blind. Blind being that I can only see the map. I see no other players, no monsters, shots or pups...Just the empty map, but with scary monster sounds all around. lol

Mobster
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Mobster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:13 pm

North American or Overseas players?
Mob
Monster Madness RPG WoP Invasion Server Administrator - UT 2004
Map Editor - UT 2004

Amy Infless
UT2004 Server Admin
UT2004 Server Admin

Post by Amy Infless » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:09 am

isnt contagion offline since month?? not showing at that gametrackerthing here on index-site..

where are all the posts i wrote years ago about that problem....

to answer some things...

it doesnt matter anymore, back in the days it were mostly
non-us-players affected by that problem. now it seems to be "even".
but what i know from european side, esp. from germany, is the following crap fact:

the big providers who want like to use the, lets call it "attlantic wire", the cable connection
between europe and the usa, have to buy "bandwithcontingents" to be able to use it.

the problem now is, "they" (the providers) know very well "you" are only a not much paying
cheap lowly flatrate-using customer!
they will send all your datas, and they will recieve all your datas you requested, they must,
cause you still payed for that. but they will not do it instantly when "you" want it, they do
it when they can... even if it means it delays 10 seconds or more. or in other words:
the death of every onlinegamer who needs ultralow pings...

germans main provider "telekomm" had a buyable "feature" called "fastpath", which
turned you more or less into a "vip", and like the name "fastpath" said, it was like you
were privileged with better bandwith and your private things beeing sent first.

but "telekomm" cut that feature some month ago and every online gamer who liked
to play on servers outside europe is really pissed now since that time because pings
skyrocketed, made onlinegaming impossible, even within europe the trouble started.

and now back to my "atlantic wire". one of the biggest rivals from "telekomm", socalled
"kabel deutschland" (cable germany), bought much more bandwith-contingents from
the atlantic cable owners, to have a better advantage against telekomm when fibre optic cable
should be available even in the smallest village with just 3 houses 150miles away from the next bigger city...

but telekomm denied the request to buy bigger contingents just to fullfill the wishes from
a handfull players.

since i have my contract with "cable germany" i have less problems than other german players
like panda or pizzaservice, who whine nearly every single map about that problem which they
didnt have before...
the only difference is, i changed years ago without knowing about that problem since telekomm
denied to upgrade my small villages wire stuff. and i was tired only beeing able to use a
combined 2 x 64kilobit(!)-line... while cable germany offered me 32Mbit (!)

providers dont care about your gaming datas, these are not important enough.
also, most of internetusers are the ones who downloads or uploads many stuff, and if
these up/downloadable things are bigger than 5mb, who cares if there is a 5-10 sec. delay
before your up/download starts or finishes, most important thing is you get what you want
without errors...

but the "vip´s", many companies were treated privileged. their huge amount of datas
will be sent "first", yours after them or between them... and because of that delay ut
doesnt know what to do with those horrible delayed datas and says packet loss...

but tbh... is it really "packet loss"? or is it "a PART of ONE SINGLE packet get lost"... think about it
and you will find out what i mean...

or, to rewrite my question from years ago again:

how does "one" package, that ut sends/recieve, look like?

because... if you really had a 100% packet loss, you would get disconnected...
but instead... you can HEAR every invisible player or monster firing weapons, dying,
you HEAR when you pick up invisible pu´s or when players toss them or weapons to you.

also, with a good spray and play gun like shotty, rl with spreads, flak or particle
you can play and win as #1 player even when playing the last 15 waves completely "blind".

so, if you really had 100% packet loss, how comes you ALLWAYS still could kill monsters???

that only works untill you die and completely lose ALL your weapons because of THAT problem.

but anyways. back to my question:
how does a single package looks like, what size does a single package have, and is
it itself splitted into many parts, like important parts, that MUST BE SENT NOW, like
with what weapon in what direction/angle you aim and fire, and unimportant parts,
like where are (visible) pu´s, players, monsters, weaponfire, what weapons they use
what skins they use etc, like i said, the unimportant things that are marked to be
"if there isnt enough bandwith to send the full packet, delete the unimportant things
from it just to make sure the important things from the packet went through
that bottleneck or send it later when its possible"...
which ends up in you still can "play" but blind in an "empty" map...

or how else could i understand one single packet???

also, Dia-Bllo´s topic still exists here from oct. 2007, and is still not really answered...

http://www.gamingmadness.org/forum/view ... =10&t=2117

still dont understand it 100%, its a bit to technical stuff for me, but i guess paint or mob
might could understand that NOW better than 8 years ago...

i know its a huge long text about that "problem", but could still contain some things
which can be set server- or ut-server-sided... cant tell, i didnt make or know the settings.

hmmm i know im just forgetting things again...

sorry rumple you left to early... no tip i can give you except learning to deal with it or
joining later like in wave 12-14... in hope to play the last waves as long as possible
with all things visible...

oh well, one thing. if you experience the beginning of that "problem", stop beeing a teamplayer!
i know that doesnt sound right, but it is...the truth...
if you jug weps, they are lost, if you switch weps, they are lost, if weps are tossed to you,
they are lost. so, run away and avoid all that... you rarely can see more than 3 pu´s in your
inventory, even when you know you have hundreds of them. even to get rid of all the
"black" pu´s till you get to the pu you wanted to load need ages...
and tbh, im tired to rename into "i am not a pu trash can" or tell players not to dump
every useless pu on me when i join even after wave 5....

just my 2 euro-cents about that never-ending story...

ats

btw. i remember a feature in some downloadhelping programs. you can enable there something
like "do ping every x seconds to keep connection alive in case of slow connection or delays".
if the server is set to "ignore pings", could that be reason why some players (mostly the same
with newer pcs) get so often disconnected from the game in more or less laggy situation,
cause there are windows settings or such like disconnect after 2 seconds no recieving anything?
Do not try kill THIS bug !!! ->Image Your monitor may not like it...

Those who correct my English will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

Return to “UT2004 General Discussion”