Air Rivals.

Jokes, Media, Mayhem, you know...fun stuff.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheMadDJ
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Air Rivals.

Post by TheMadDJ » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Once upon a time, there was a free MMO called Space Cowboy. This wasn't your normal WoW clone. It allowed the users to take to the skies and dogfight with mobs or each other in a Nation type PvP setup. It was then canceled in 2007 when the developers lost the license and were ordered to terminate the game.

Since then, two developers have released two versions of SC. ACE Online, and the version I'm on, Air Rivals. Both versions received content updates and are pretty much Identical. However, ACE is in the Americas, while Rivals is from a German company. As far as I'm aware, that's the only difference, so whichever you decide on, it's still the same game. The game has your average grindfest PvE setup (IE go there, kill that. Make that or collect X of Y type missions). However, the PvP is pretty different to normal MMOs.

For starters, it's not seperate from the normal game. At around lvl 5 or 10, you're asked to join one of two warring factions. The "good guys" Bygeniou (BCU) or the "Rebellious" Arlington (ANI). Once this choice has been made, any and all players on the opposite side are hostile. A tad like Horde Vs Alliance in WoW. Both sides have different "Map Chains" which allows the lower leveled guys space and protection. However, These chains do cross, and there are multiple routes you can use to raid the enemy. There are safe "channels" for most of the zones closest to the spawn point of your nation, but eventually you will have to fight other players at one point.

There's a score tracking the war between the two, and at certain stages, the nation who hits 100k will get the chance to defend their mothership. If this defensive is successful, anyone who was online at the time will get "Warpoints" which goes toward stronger armours than the normal available ones, upgrade cards (To enchant weapons and other items for better stats.) and even access to boss areas for better item drops and EXP gains. If the other side destroy the MS, they get the goodies. There's also, from time to time, Strategic points placed on a certain map which act as a smaller scale skirmish between them. And, during normal play, if you shoot down an enemy, you'll get a lot more cash than from normal monsters depending on their level. So there is often small raids from both sides anyway. Plenty going on to lure you away from the grind machine. There's also Arena matches, which can help prepare you for PvP in the bigger events, and 1Vs1 duels. There's also your standard Formations (Parties), Brigades (Clans) and your friend lists. The catch? You gain EXP for each friend you have online at that time. Formations can also "line up", which basically means the leader controls the direction, and the rest just shoot. Handy for warp camping.

Now, the game has four different unit types, called Gears, and you're allowed to make three per account.

B-Gears are the heavy hitters of the game and are basically fighter bombers. During a PvP events, it's normally up to these guys to concentrate fire on the objective in hand, or to cause heavy damage on the enemy for the other types to clear up. They're slower than the other air based units however.

I-Gears are the Interceptors of the game. They're fast. They can switch direction mid-fight (At level 30 mind) and are mostly the ones that will get the kills during the battle once (or if) the enemy get through. However, lighter armour would mean you soon have to use the pace and the skills you get to dodge missile volleys.

M-Gears are the medics of the game, and tend to rely on the Formation (Read : Party) system. Being the only air type than can go forwards and backwards freely (Ok, why this is useful I haven't a clue) they also offer temporary stats increases, healing and recharging skills and even a warp system (Don't ask me the level you get the skill at, I'm still pretty new). Downside? You have a massive red target on your face, and your not the most agile of the aircraft.

Lastly, and oddly, there's the A-Gears. A-Gears are tanks basically. They can fly, however most of their power comes with their siege mode. This stops the unit, but means that you can pretty much hold down an area of the map with it's powerful guns. These units are often used to block off warp points in the larger war events to help reduce the number of combatants in the map in particular.

URL to Main site, forums, and Download information : http://www.airrivals.net/main/index

YouTube Link to unoffical trailer showing the I and B gears in action : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_j5ZM3FVKc

YouTube to some more game footage. This time during a Mothership battle. It is nine minutes long though : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaW8703ObXU

Smaller one here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bI8X-3ob

And yes, camping that point is needed. And yes, it's utter carnage on both sides ^_^

And I play on Helix for the BCU flying an I Gear under the nick "SirusDiarota". Often badly ^_^. Anyway, of anyone joining this server, there is a slight problem as ANI have a lot more higher leveled pilots and are more active once the action starts. Clearly I'd like the help, but do as you wish.

Anyway, comments, queries and hate mail welcomed.

/Shameless plug

And yes, Sirus is my roleplaying name, hence why it's that and not TheMadDJ <_<

kanabanoid
Corporal
Corporal

Post by kanabanoid » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:21 am

Thanx DJ, i checked it out and i am going to have to give this one a try, looks fairly good , not to mention i have been looking for a air fighter game like this but never ran accross this one.
Q9550 @ 3.833
GTX 480
ASUS Striker II
Soundblaster X-Fi extreem
CORSAIR pc3 12800 2 X 2gb
Enermax PRO 82+ (PSU)
Bigwater 735 cooler
Antec 900 (case)
1200w (RMS) Sound system 200 watt duel 10" sub's
Logitech G510

Return to “Fun, Games, Jokes”