To Be Removed / Modified Map Requests

This is the place to post requests for new maps that you would like to play on the server.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anti_Hero
Private
Private

Post by Anti_Hero » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm

AngelDust wrote:o ya and also take off helmzdeep. that is one of the most laggiet map iv played in
yeah helms deep and fog of doom is gay so if you can take it off plz

MaGiKiLLa
Private
Private

Post by MaGiKiLLa » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:35 am

AngelDust wrote:o ya and also take off helmzdeep. that is one of the most laggiet map iv played in

Helm Laggy? never had that problem myself TBH maybe your rig needs attention :P

AngelDust
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AngelDust » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:09 am

take off bikini bottom! that map lags almost as much as helmz deep :evil:

FragFodder
BANNED
BANNED

Post by FragFodder » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:02 pm

That's strange because I've never lagged on Helmz Deep or Bikini Bottom except for the usual logon lag I get on mostly all of the maps when I first enter a new map.

There are a number of other maps where I do get a lot of lag throughout (can't recall the names of the maps at the moment...just woke up and my brain is "lagging") and also a couple of times I've experienced the usual lock up lag on different maps but I think those times are mostly due to burps and farts in my ISP connection.

Having one of the highest pings on the server due to distance doesn't help much either but overall considering I don't even have one of those fancy shmancy video cards or high end computers I can't really complain. :D

Bert
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bert » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:33 pm

I don't lag on Helmzdeep either.

I can get bad fps outside on that level when there's a lot of players on spamming intensive weapons like the particle gun alt fire etc, but apart from that its fine.

I tend to stand in doorways and ambush the monsters on that map anyway so that I don't get kaned by sniper monsters and titans which I cant see.

There are some maps that I would like to see removed temporarily every now and then because they are extremely over played and I happen to dislike them, but I cant really say I have system problems with any maps on the server.

If I get bad fps I simply move to another part of the map where it improves.

The amount of people with obviously bad systems who spam like hell in open areas on large maps then bitch and moan about the map really annoys me sometimes, I personally wouldn't mind seeing a few of those persistent offenders removed from the server.

FragFodder
BANNED
BANNED

Post by FragFodder » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:48 am

Paint...any chance we can consider removing the Basement map that only has the zen benelli shotguns and deemers...? It's the one with the fish tanks not the one with the crack whore crashing on the sofa.

The Basement map with the crack whore is cool. But since there are two maps titled Basement, invariably I or someone else will vote for the the one with the fish tanks and then it turns into a real "yawn=fest"...well at least for me anyway...don't know how others feel about it. :D

DeathBringer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by DeathBringer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 am

AngelDust wrote:take off bikini bottom! that map lags almost as much as helmz deep :evil:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not bikini bottom thats my fav map lol it never laged me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaGiKiLLa
Private
Private

Post by MaGiKiLLa » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:26 am

I am BEGGING YOU to get rid of that none invasion FogOfDoom2 this map is like good for a laugh one time my god

please remove this map it doesnt even have an entire floor and never mind low levels dying if you dont have a sturdy etc your toast the entire map is useless as an invasion map please please please remove it or make it so everyone gets a globe on that map .. ramble over thnx fer listening please remove please please please please..

Intimidator
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Intimidator » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am

Joe said he was supposed to remove that map ....months ago....... :roll:
"The next time you're having a bad day, imagine this: You're a Siamese twin. Your brother, attached at your shoulder, is a pole smoker. You're not. He has a date coming over tonight. You only have one ass."

MaudDib22
Private
Private

Post by MaudDib22 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:42 pm

time for another rant.

Sorry folks but just because a small handful of you DONT feel lag on certain maps doesnt mean the vast majority dont. For months I've told joey that NYC Train was an extremely bad laggy map and no one listened until the server crashed at least 20 times to get the point across.

All were trying to do is keep it fun for everyone, so please understand when we hear the majority cry "lag", we listen. If any of you want a map that badly (like BikiniBottom and HelmzDeep) then FIX it...dont just say no it doesnt lag. If quite a few people says it does, it usually means that there is something wrong with the map. I've seen HelmzDeep lag so badly that by wave 16 (if we even get that far before a crash) I cant even see myself *move* around the map.

The usual culprits for lag on a map is the following:

- Lack of playerstart nodes (must have at least 16-20)
- Lack of pathnodes, monsters need them for AI movement and for spawning, otherwise they will spawn only at playerstarts and stay there.
- Teleporters placed where monsters can get to them...believe me when I say its a bad idea to allow monsters access to teleporters, they dont respond well to them, they throw lots of errors on the server.
- no Zone or AntiZone portals...these are extremely important for maps with large open areas and small rooms.
- And the #1 cause of all lag: Maps with very large open areas...these are the worst kind. Good examples: sHoK-Attic, MatrixAlley, BikiniBottom, HelmzDeep. They run fine when its only players on the map. Add 40+ monsters, and you'll definitely notice a difference.

If any of you know how to optimize a map, then please help us. We mainly code the mods on our server, but we dont have the time or know enough about unrealed to modify the maps we play on...give us a hand.

On another note: Please do not use this server as a test bed for My First Map(TM). I know some of you want to impress us and other players with your mad sk1llz, but before you submit a map to us, do the following:

- test the map with at least 20 bots, and watch what they do. do they just stand around, or are they really moving around trying to hunt things down.
- test the map with MASSIVE invasion settings. Set the wave monster count to 100, set wave time to 255, spawn a few bots, and see what happens with a lot of monsters on the map. Better to test with a few humans.
- test the map in a dedicated server environment. Instant Action is not enough to test a map, because IA skips a lot of the steps required for over-the-net-play, which makes EVERYTHING work in IA. Best way to do this is have 2 copies of UT installed: one for dev, second for online play. Launch the dev copy as a dedicated server, then join it via LAN on the online play copy. You can do this on the same machine, I do this all the time in testing our mods.
- after testing, look at the UT2004.log file in your folder, this is invaluable in determining if your map throws errors, or the server.log on the dedicated server...these files do not lie, and have guided us in fixing almost 99% of all the errors we have seen in the past
- If you feel confident it works well, ask yourself, "would I want to play this map". Be honest, dont just make maps for the sake of making them...would you want to vote for your map? Were not asking for perfection, but at least try to throw in something thats unique. Look at epics maps, look at the cbp maps...they have a lot of cool objects and static meshes that would give life to an otherwise boring map. Use (some, not all =) of the preinstalled mesh and texture packages that come with UT, use your imagination. Look at TrainingDay, see how they use meshes around doorways and the walls, look at the lighting and the use of sound emitters for ambient sound. .its the little details that count. Dont spend a day on a map, spend a week, even more. Give it time, dont rush it.

Return to “Map Requests”